donderdag 17 augustus 2017

STILL*LIFE

This is my coat STILL*LIFE



STILL*LIFE front


I used the Mastery fabric by Hoffman from the Mastery digital print collection.



When seeing this fabric it reminded me very strongly of the paintings of Dutch and Flemish Masters of the 17th Century. I did some research on the subject matter.
There is a fascinating website by the Dutch Rijksmuseum where you can find their entire collection. You are allowed to use the pictures for your own use, you are even encouraged to make your own art with use of the pictures.here
The designers of this fabric must have used something similar as most of the flowers seem to have come straight from these paintings.

Willem van Aelst- Flower still life with watch


detail

When visiting Amsterdam I found a carpet in a trendy store also using this subject matter.




That's when I knew what I wanted to do. I started by collecting large artificial flowers, petals, leaves and more fabrics. It is as if my brain is tuned into the subject matter and then I find all sorts of things I can use. In the local farmers market I found two more digitally printed fabrics in the same style. While doing my research I noticed tiny insects in the paintings, would that have been by chance or on purpose? Furthermore there were all sorts of food depicted. Very interesting indeed. I looked into the symbolic meaning of a couple of those and decided to use them in my work.

detail STILL*LIFE
detail STILL*LIFE
detail STILL*LIFE


I had a lot of fun making this coat, adding all sorts of animals, fruit and insects.
detail STILL*LIFE

I made three different versions of a Still Life in the style of the old masters.
STILL*LIFE 1
STILL*LIFE 2


STILL*LIFE 3

In some places the still life grew into more natural the branches and flowers or is it the other way around?

detail STILL*LIFE
The finishing touches include a collar, seam treatment and the lining.





STILL*LIFE back





6 opmerkingen:

  1. Weer een erg mooie jas. Zal wel even duren voor we deze in het echt kunnen zien maar in ieder geval gefeliciteerd met weer een prijs voor je werk.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I just love your work. Thank you for sharing your process. Your Dutch in America Facebook friend, Wilhelmina Jaffe

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Deze reactie is verwijderd door een blogbeheerder.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen