woensdag 23 mei 2018

International Quilt Festival Luxembourg


I was invited to exhibit my work in Wilwerwitz Luxembourg for the 8th International Quilt Festival Luxembourg May 10- 13 2018



On May 8th we drove to Luxembourg with a car full of my coats , quilts and all the exhibition materials. We arrived in Wilwerwitz in the afternoon and could set up my exhibition right away.


I had a nice big room for myself in the Centre Communal in Wilwerwitz. This is the starting point of the Quiltfestival . During 4 days there are about 20 different locations in 4 villages where you can see many different exhibitions of artists from all over the world. In churches, farmers' sheds and cafes. There is also a shopping tent for fabrics and notions. There are small shuttle buses to take the visitors to the different villages.













The opening reception was on Wednesday night which was very well-attended.
I was able to take a peek at the artwork of the other artists in the building, meet the Quilt Festival staff, many supporters, some of the other invited artists including Nancy Prince, Danny Amazonas, Denise Labadie and Wil Fritsma.





Here you see an overview of the second floor of the Centre Communal with the exhibitions of Wil Fritsma, Denise Labadie and Danny Amazonas.

The first day of the Quilt Festival was extremely busy with visitors from Germany, France , The Netherlands and of course Luxembourg. A constant change of speaking different languages. In the end I didn't know what language I was speaking anymore.

We even got a surprise visit of Xavier Bettel, the Prime Minister of Luxembourg. He took a lot of pictures himself and was very enthousiastic about the Quilts and the Festival.



He posted an album on his Facebook page and wrote:
Den 8. internationale Quiltfestival am Kiischpelt ass e Besuch wäert. Ech war haut op Visite a sin impressionéiert vun deenen immense Wierker déi ausgestallt sinn. Do verbënnt sech Kreativitéit, Kënnen, Gedold an Ausdauer mateneen a vill Léift fir den Detail. Ech wënschen den Organisateuren vill Succès! De Festival dauert nach bis den 13.05 an et ginn och Workshops offréiert, wou ee selwer kann déi Passioun kenneléieren.

On Friday we had a lot of visitors again. Everybody was extremely interested in my work and very appreciative. It' s amazing and deeply humbling to see how some of the visitors were overcome by emotions when looking at my work.

It was good to see so many men at a quilt show. When I remarked on this, a visitor said: they have to, they have to drive us between the villages. But still they came in too and were very interested.


Saturday and Sunday were less busy, but we still had quite a lot of visitors.
This also gave us the opportunity to visit with some of the other exhibitions ourselves.


Danny Amazonas was absolutely taken by my work. Here I am showing him around and we discussed techniques and construction together.





I had an incredible time at the Quilt Festival and want to thank the organizers for inviting me.













1 opmerking: